Sunday, February 12, 2012

time seems to slip away...

Tis been over three weeks since I have sat to type... Life has been running away, like a train downhill, no brakes.    Surgery on the back for Virg was accomplished on January 25th.  Kyphoplasty.  A balloon is first inserted into the fractured bone through the hollow needle to create a cavity or space. The cement is injected into the cavity once the balloon is removed.  In effect, it immediately recreates the size and shape of the previously fractured bone.  Ergo, the pain is gone, because the spine is no longer getting pinched in a most unfriendly way.  


Kids all had to work.  Having to reschedule it, made it impossible for any of them to get the day off.  Both Virgil and I were in shock when his brother, Rick, showed up before surgery.  I don't have words that can express how grateful I was... I really did not want to sit by myself, waiting.  Rick talked of old times, and just kept conversation simple.  Darling Dixie showed up after they had taken Virgil.  We all sat, and laughed.  Doc Eck came walking into the waiting room with a million dollar smile on his face.  He didn't need to say a danged thing.  The smile told me everything.  Virgil made it through with no problems... so take that, you horrid nurse practitioner.  We had to wait to see him until they brought him to his room.  I think that was the hardest part of all.  I wanted to go to the recovery room.  I totally understand why they do not let families... but that is where my heart wanted to be.  


Was not long, and we were walked to his room.  He showed up about 5 minutes latter.  Someone had mentioned to him that he got to go home... and that was not a good thing to say to this guy... cause that is what he really wanted.  Convinced him we would survive one night in the hospital, and he called down to the kitchen.  Grumbled loudly about the food choices, and I ended up going to Perkin's, promising to bring him back his favorite from there... When I returned, he was sharing the hospital food with the grandson... and he still managed to wipe out all the food from Perkin's.  When he said he was hungry, he meant it.


Doc came in to see us the next morn... and said we were golden to go.  Took the dressing off the back.  I was expecting something huge, cause the dressing was 10x10 inches, and had a ton of packing under it.  With the removal, I saw they managed to do everything literally through 2 punctures, and closed both with only one suture each.  Band aid to cover it... 12 days and the sutures come out. 


Each day at home is a little better.  Have to remind him every so often that he still can't be lifting anything of real weight, cause there are other vertebrae ready to crumble.   


Showed me a rash on his leg last Tuesday morn.  Looked like a small amount of contact dermatitis.  I had just changed the sheets, and thought maybe not all the soap was removed.  Next day, hear from youngest daughter that she has a strange rash.... and the walls cave in on me.  I go to look at Virg's leg again...it has grown HUGE over the span of one day.  The youngest is not going to have a rash if our sheets have soap in them... and they have never had soap in them... no... she reminds me when I am grilling her that she had to take grandchild to doc for a virus... and that was right after she had visited last... and that was 12 days ago.  Yeep.... shingles....


Call to the doc.... she had not contacted me until after 4pm.  Leave a message for the doc.  They call back within 1/2 hour.  Ask if I am sure it is shingles... and I know without a doubt what shingles look like... I just had not seen it go bad this fast... it was tiny bumps this am... spread out over a small space.  Now it is from below knee to tush... and starting to blister out... evil things... Doc ordered another script... and asks for us to come in the next day.  

Off work early again, and dashing to doc's office... confirmed what I already knew... the anger in me is raging.  This was so preventable.  Shingles don't itch... they burn with pain... fix one pain, and another one visits us.  I am starting to wonder if we are being tested...  I am flunking...

No comments:

Post a Comment