Monday, October 3, 2011

another night....

Virgil was a little excited when I returned from work on Friday.  He said he had gotten a phone call from the VA.  They had told him that they had what they needed, and were working on the claim we had filed.  After they had refused to talk with us just a few days before, he found this exciting.  He had not really believed that they would look at it for several months.  We still don't know exactly what info they have received... We are just going to have to wait it out.  I am hoping that we will not have to file an appeal to a declined status.

Sunday had been a long day.  We went to the garage.  We have a "summer car" that we both love to drive... Tis a mustang.  Not really usable in the winter winds due to rear wheel drive along with the snow and ice we have in Iowa.  Big Bertha... aka our Buick needed some TLC before the north winds blow in earnest.   Time for new plugs, and on oil change.  I decided if I was going to do it,  I was replacing the plug wires at the same time.  Took the better part of the day by the time we were done with it.  Did have one part broken that we were not planning on.  Those back plug wires are next to impossible to reach without monkey arms, long and skinny.  Virg had inserted a pry bar while I was under the car pulling blindly.  Too much pressure on a plastic piece of the fuel delivery lines make it snap.  $29.95 plus a few colorful words latter, and that was replaced too.  Discovered the power steering fill spot is hidden in the back lower portion of the engine too... Whomever designed how this engine was put together had an evil sense of humor.  Virgil loves garage work.  It completely exhausts him now, but to see the look as things were getting done, one at a time... he was glowing.  I was doing 99% of the manual labor.  He watched carefully every step.  Telling me " it's easier this way"... or "try this"... and he was right 99.99% of the time.  He is so patient with me.  He knows I am trying to not be helpless in the future, and I need to relearn a lot of things that he took over completely when we married.

We finished up at the end... looked through the garage and took out as much "extra" junk as we could. Condensing the wiper solutions to one jug... same with partial oil bottles etc... putting things together and just putting things where they belong.   Nice after dropping things in a hurry... mostly my fault... too many things to do and so little time to get them all done... so much space in freed up.

Into the house and a shared drink to celebrate the fact we pulled it off... did not need to send the beast to a professional garage... simple joys of independence... Supper was quick and simple, just like lunch.  No time to put together a roast etc.  Oscar Meyer for lunch... and noddles with veggies for supper.  Bed came early.  We both were exhausted.  Feel asleep early... ahhhh, sweet sleep.

About 30 minutes ago... he started to thrash.  Been there, and done it enough times... I have no doubt as to what was happening.  The night fears were making a visit... I know better than to wake him... I roll out of bed... quietly and quickly.  Here I sit.   I hate that he has to endure this.  If I touch him, chances are he will attack me... thinking I am the enemy.  I was sent a private message suggesting I throw socks at him.... did that a few years ago... tried it again tonight... He curls like he is being bombarded with grenades... I can't do that anymore... cruel to add to the terror he is going through.

Things are getting quiet.  The thrashing has stopped.  One more hour before I have to be up for work on a Monday... I need to try a little more sleep...


No comments:

Post a Comment